Monday, January 10, 2005

My Reading List

About a year ago, I read this post. I am sure that idea was not new or unique, but for some reason it was something that had never occurred to me. 52 magazines in 52 weeks. I did not attempt to read 52 magazines, but I did seek out 5 or 6 that I had never read, just to expose myself to some new things.

Towards the end of last year, again through kottke.org, I came across this. Someone took the original idea one step further and read 52 books in 52 weeks. 52 books!

That idea inspired me. I always want to read more, but never seem to make it a priority. Like so many others, I get sucked into some inane tv show(s) and time that I should have been reading I "waste'" on TV. Do not misunderstand me, not all tv is bad. Having a guilty pleasure -- The O.C. -- is quite alright. Its the 20 other hours a week that I can no longer account for that have me concerned.

What to do?

My goal is to read 48 books this year, or 4 a month. I may adjust that number if I tackle some of the books that perpetually appear on my list (Master of the Senate and The Power Broker) and are of some heft. Below I have outlined what's on my list so far for this year:

1. The Making of a Chef -- Michael Ruhlman (I have just about completed this one)
2. Cloud Atlas -- David Mitchell
3. Out of Left Field, How the Mariners Made Baseball Fly in Seattle -- Art Thiel
4. American Sphinx, The Character of Thomas Jefferson -- Joseph Ellis
5. An Unfinished Life, JFK -- Robert Dallek
6. Master of the Senate -- Robert A. Caro
7. Sam Adams -- David McCullogh
8. The Metaphysical Club -- Louis Menand
9. Under the Banner of Heaven -- Jon Krakauer

Like Nick Hornby's column in The Believer, wherein the books he buys and the books he reads are never the same, this list is subject to change and will change. I will keep you updated on my progress and changes as they occur. If you have any suggestions, I am open to them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home