Saturday, March 12, 2005

Getting Back on Track

I just finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I am not even sure how I got to this book. After finishing Out of Left Field, I got a bad case of reader's block. I tried two different books that I really do want to read, Under the Banner of Heaven and Salt. But neither worked for me. A change of pace was in order. After a trip to my local bookstore (ok, it's a Barnes and Noble, but that sounds so commercial....) I came home with two novels, American Gods and the Kite Runner.

American Gods did the trick. I confess, I had never even heard of Neil Gaiman before almost randomly picking up his novel in the store. While I like some science fiction / fantasy, it has not been a regular part of my reading diet in quite a while.

Without giving away too much, its about an ex-con, Shadow, and his road trip across America. I do not want to deceive you, it is not a road novel like On the Road, or Travels with Charley. This story combines mythology, a little religion, and the author's vivid imagination to tell a fun, although sometimes sluggish, story. It took a little while to get into the spirit of the novel, but once it grabs you, it does not let go.

But, if you are checking it out on Amazon or some other on-line retailer and it does look interesting to you, might I tempt you with a better book?

Veronica by Nicholas Christopher. A poet turned novelist, Christopher's writing far exceeds Gaiman's, and the story is even better. Check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home