Saturday, April 02, 2005

Music: Bloc Party, Silent Alarm

Metacritic: 79
Pitchfork: 8.9

I am always on the lookout for new music. But, my tastes are so particular that I have a diffcult time finding music I like.

Let's be clear, however, I am not a music snob. If I were, I would be gushing all over the new Bright Eyes and Elliot Smith releases. I so desperately want to rant about them, and others in that whole genre of indie-folk-rock. I just cannot understand where "alternative" rock went and how it got replaced on the one side by those types of groups, and the electronica on the other.

But, this is not about them. It is about another genre enjoying a reawakening our musical counsciousness. Its about Franz Ferdinand and the Killers succeeding in a style inspired by Joy Division and The Cure.

To me, Silent Alarm follows The Killers and FF down the same path, but without the hits. In an Itunes inspired playtlist world that might be a problem. But in a "listen to the whole album in your car world," this album solidly hits the mark.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home