Wednesday, May 11, 2005

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, by Mark Haddon, had been recommended to me by the Amazon recommendations wizard for a while now. But, something about following an autistic child investigate the murder of a neighbor's dog did not intrigue me all that much. I mean really, how does that sound to you? But, it is a Whitbread award winner, so there had to be something there....

Recently, I found myself sans book and too much time to kill so I bought it on a whim. The timing was a little odd, because I just finished reading this article, which talks about an autistic woman and her work with animals. In particular, how she redesigned slaughterhouses to make them more "animal friendly." I know, I know, it seems a little odd, but what it boils down to is that autistic people see the world differently than most of us, they see the little things that we never recognize, and many animals view the world in a similar way.

Those differences could not have been highlighted any better than in Curious Incident. I had heard someone with autism recently interviewed on NPR (probably by Terry Gross), and they indicated
this book was the most accurate they had read of what its like to be autistic. The book is truly fascinating and eye opening.

Read it.

While I decide what to read next, I have been working through, Bird By Bird by Anne Lamott and Getting Things Done by David Allen.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home