Friday, June 24, 2005

Book 13: A Long Way Down -- Nick Hornby

Any book that I finish is at least decent. I never finish the really bad books. And not just bad books, but a whole variety of books that for some reason or another I never finish. Usually I am just not in the right frame of mind for that particular book.

So, if I finish a book, it means something.

Of course, sometimes it does not mean much.

A Long Way Down is just one of those books. I like Nick Hornby. High Fidelity and About a Boy are two of my favorite books. I like Hornby's phrasing/style. That Monty Pythonesqe humor which often does not translate well into the written word. Unfortunately, he's still got the style, this book just lacked the substance.

The basic premise is 4 individuals meet on the top of a building on New Year's eve with the intent of killing themselves. Rather than jump, they create a support structure for each other. The book traces the four characters in a narrative style with each character telling a bit of the story.

The book really wrestles with what it means to truly live. Unfortunately Hornby just can't seem to pump enough life into his own story.

But I finished it, so that must count for something, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home