Friday, September 09, 2005

David Sedaris

Maybe I am funk. Maybe I need to molt like a lobster. Either way I have given up on Dress Your Family in corduroy and Denim. Which is odd. Powells.com simply says its Sedaris' best book.

The beginning of the end was when I saw him live a couple of years ago. Seeing him live was the pinnacle of my Sedaris experience. The affair began when I heard his nasal voice on NPR. Then I discovered Naked and Me Talk Pretty One Day. I was not alone. It turns out many of my friends liked him as well.

I missed him on his last book tour, promoting his new book, but I did catch him when he was promoting Me Talk Pretty One Day. He was great. His stories got that little something extra from his voice.

Then, the love affair was over. I have read a few of the stories in Dress Your Family, but they are just are not doing it for me.

However, if you have not heard/read him, I highly recommend him.

3 Comments:

Blogger steakbellie said...

how many f'ing books do you guys read?!?!

4:26 PM  
Blogger steakbellie said...

seriously, I forbid you to read any more books this year. You're heads gonna swell up and then I'll never be able to fit it on a t-Shirt!

3:48 PM  
Anonymous loriarchut said...

NO! Wait! Don't turn away from "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim"!!!
I think it was one of Sedaris' best books, and a whole lot better than "Naked." Give it another try!

Have you at least read "Holidays on Ice?"

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home