Friday, September 09, 2005

The Secret Life of Lobsters -- Trevor Corson

I used to love lobster. That was after I hated it. Now I am pretty indifferent.

When I was 6 my parents took me to Maine. I don't remember much about the trip. I have some vague memory of being in a rowboat with a leak. But I am no longer sure how much I actually remember, and how much I "remember" from talking about the leaky rowboat. The leaky rowboat is not all that important. What is important is on that trip I refused to eat lobster. I am sure now, especially in light of my parents return to Maine many years later, that whole point of the vacation was to eat Lobster every day. Oops. How was I to know?

Somewhere between 6 and puberty I grew to enjoy Lobster as much as my parents did. We ate frequently, or as frequently as we could considered my mother would not cook it in our house, or serve it on our dishes if we brought it home (it's not kosher). But we overcame these obstacles and ordered it at restaurants. Or even brought it home and ate it cantonese style from a Chinese restaurant on paper plates and with plastic utensils.

As I got older, into my 20s and 30s Lobster just became like Shrimp. It was everywhere. And maybe the abundance lessened some special quality I believed it once had. Now that I could have it pretty much anytime I wanted, I no longer wanted it anymore.

The Secret Life of Lobsters is all most of us will ever need to know about Lobster lifecycles, mating, and lobstermen (women). It was just enough story matched with just enough science to be fun without getting tedious. It sated my appetite for knowledge about lobsters and now I feel like I can move on to something else. If you have ever eaten lobster, or wanted to, you should read this book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home