Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Book 48 -- Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell & Dustin Thomason


I have been laboring through a rather well written book The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason that has been compared tot he Da Vinci Code. It is similar to the DVC in that it is a book about a group of really smart people trying to break the code of a book/piece of art. It also combines the riddles of literature and art with a thriller as dead bodies pop up everywhere.

The book is NOT like the DVC in that it is a superbly written book. The details and imagery are fantastic and I especially like it since the whole book takes place on Princeton university.

Now... it deserves the praise that it is receiving...

But here is where I diverge... I recognize all the compliments about the book.. HOWEVER, unlike the DVC, I really don't care about a book called the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili, a Renaissance text that has vexed scholars throughout history. The DVC gave me an insight into something I know about... the Bible.

This book asks me to solve riddles about a book I don't know or care about.

Whatever... it is still a good book. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home