Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Books 33 & 34 -- Holiday Weekends Rock...

JUly 4th weekend saw a lot of reading and buying of stuff for upcoming picnics. I wanted to have the Kite Runner finished for a picnic this Sunday, but it looks futile as muh wife is reading it.

While she read those, I picked up two other books.

Book 33 was A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby. I love NIck Hornby. I think he has some incredibly insightful writing and he taps into the human psyche so incredibly well.

To me... this book was no different. I don't want to give too much away for anyone that will read it but I was satisfied by the ending where a group of people all become better people and yet... I can't tell you how or why they became better people. They just did...and we are walked through the entire process.

What I like most about his writing is that his characters speak the way people actually speak. People make references to music and movies when they discuss their lives with others. It is what we do and Nick Hornby's character interact that way.

I know that SZG may not agree but I was happy to see Nick's book and I was happy to have been a part of it. Is it as good as HIgh Fidelity? No... Is it as good as About a Boy? I would say so...

Book 34 will get almost nothing said about it.... as it is my annual dive into pure drivel and trash. Eleven on Top by Janet Evanovich is the 11th and a half installment of the Stephanie Plum series. Ms. Plum is a bounty hunter in Trenton, New Jersey... and I find Evanovich's descriptions of the area to be sophmoric and pretty darn accurate.

Next up... a collection of stories editted by David Sedaris. I will read those.. but if the Kite Runner opens up while I am reading it... that book of short stories is going back on the shelf.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home